Christmas Muddy Buddies (aka reindeer chow or Christmas puppy chow) is an easy, delicious recipe that is sure to please. Great for giving out as a treat or for a party, adding a Christmas twist to Muddy Buddies is a fun way to get into the holiday spirit. Enjoy!
Christmas Muddy Buddies Recipe
Classic Muddy Buddies get a Christmas twist with red and green candy and sweet and salty pretzels drizzled in colorful candy melts.
- 9 cups corn Chex
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 cups pretzels
- 1 cup red candy melts
- 1 cup green candy melts
- 1 cup red and green chocolate candies (I used Hershey's "Trees and Stockings White Creme Chips"
- Measure the Chex into a large bowl and set aside. Combine the 1/2 cup peanut butter, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Slowly melt the mixture 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time, until fully melted.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the Chex and stir to coat the cereal thoroughly. Place the Chex evenly into 2 zip-top bags. Place 1 cup of powdered sugar in each bag, seal securely, and shake the bags until all the pieces are well coated.
- Spread onto wax paper and cool.
- While the cereal mix is cooling, start on the pretzels. Place wax paper or silicone mats onto a baking sheet. Evenly spread the 3 cups of pretzels on the wax paper.
- Melt 1/2 cup of the red, and 1/2 cup of the green candy melts separately in the microwave. Once melted, use a fork to drizzle the pretzels with candy melts. Set in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Melt the other 1/2 cup of red and 1/2 cup of green candy melts. Remove the pretzels from the fridge and flip them over. Drizzle the other side with the red and green candy melts. Place back in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Add the pretzels and red and green candies to the Muddy Buddies. Stir. Enjoy!
You can use any chocolate candy you would like. Red and green M&Ms, chocolate nonpareils, or candy-coated almonds would all be fun choices.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 628Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 446mgCarbohydrates: 109gFiber: 4gSugar: 62gProtein: 7g
Nutrition information is an estimate only.
I highly recommend my Christmas Punch to go alongside your Muddy Buddies!
How long do Muddy Buddies last? They should last 1 to 2 weeks in an air-tight container at room temperature.
Can Muddy Buddies be stored in the fridge or freezer? Avoid storing your Muddy Buddies in the fridge or freezer, as that will actually make them go stale faster.
If you like this mini apple crisp recipe, let me know! Or if you’ve made the recipe let me know how it went. I’d love to hear from you in the comments. Happy baking!